Topping off JOAM after racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcold0403

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've read through the mead forum and haven't found a specific answer to my question so sorry if this has been answered before. Right now I have 2 one gallon batches of JOAM going. I followed the recipe very close (zested the orange instead of putting rine and all) but one gallon has bread yeast and the other has Lavlin EC-118. It has been fermenting for 2 months and I just got done racking it for the second time (both are starting to clear up very well)

My question is, since some of my volume is being lost during racking (probably 1 to 2 cups) should I put the volume back up to 1 gallon after each racking? If I should, what do I add to it? Just water? Water/honey mixture? Initially I used 2.5 lbs of clover honey if that helps.

I'm still pretty new to brewing, only have about 5 batches done and this is my first mead, so sorry for my "noobness". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you make JAO per Joe's recipe, you don't rack it all. You just let it clear. Also, his recipe calls for 3.5 pounds of honey. If you used only 2.5 pounds both batches are going to be dry and harsh.

If you used less honey, you may want to consider topping up with a pound of honey and enough water to fill up the container.

If you make JAO per Joe's recipe, you don't rack it all. You just let it clear. Also, his recipe calls for 3.5 pounds of honey. If you used only 2.5 pounds both batches are going to be dry and harsh.

If you used less honey, you may want to consider topping up with a pound of honey and enough water to fill up the container.
Concur there Medsen. I don't care what anyone says, Joe's recipe is good, but only if you make it "as is". It doesn't make for a nice dry mead at all.

I don't understand why it is, that what with all the advice out there about JAO, and attempts at improving it, that new mead makers still seem to think that by changing something, it will make for a better mead.

They also seem to miss the point that it's designed to be easy to make, with ingredients all from the nearest grocery store and larder........

Actually, I make it to the same recipe, but for "gallon" I use (obviously/instinctively) an "imperial" gallon i.e. 4.55 litres and it still comes out good. Probably not quite as sweet as when made to the recipe using a US gallon measure but still good.

regards

fatbloke

Back