Topping off after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngusPA

Reaction score
It's a long story, but realized I did not add enough water when topping off. Maybe half gallon to a gallon short. Has been fermenting for a 5 days and active fermentation had ended. Can I top off now with spring water or will that create a different problem?

I would not do it. You can, but to mix it up, there is a good chance you will oxidize the beer. What you have now is a little stronger of a beer. I would call it good.

I agree that you ideally wouldn't do it, but if you want to give it a shot, make sure you boil the top-ff water for an extended period. The boiling will sanitize it, of course, but more importantly, it will help remove the dissolved oxygen in the water. Alternatively, instead of adding the extra water now, you could dissolve your priming sugar in it and add it at bottling or kegging (if you are naturally carbonating your keg).

I was thinking it probably wasn't a big deal. My OG was 1.06 rather than 1.05 per the recipe. I'm probably going to bottle this time so maybe will add add'l water with priming sugar.

Back