Topping off a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rynobrew

Reaction score
My 5.5 gallon batch is ready to be kegged, but cornys only holds 5 gallons. I'd rather not have to bottle the remaining half gallon. Can I just let that half gallon sit in the secondary until I've drank a half gallon or so out of the keg and then top it off. I can't see any problems if everything is sanitized... but yes, I'm a newb and might be overlooking something.

If this question has already been answered, my apologies...

Do you have another keg of a similar type that could use a top-off? I'd rather not keep that 1/2 gallon sitting with all that headspace. I'd either top off another keg or dump it. Maybe that's just me being too careful.

agree letting it sit with that much headspace is begging for infection / oxidation. dump it or bottle it.

Best not to let it sit in secondary as it will get oxidized that way. I would just keg what you can and bottle or drink the rest.. seriously. You will probably end up with less extra then you expect as there is likely some trub at the bottom of your fermentor and I think the kegs actually hold a bit more than 5G. Don't forget to purge the headspace with co2 and to dry hop in the keg.

You will probably find that you can actually fit it in the corny. The volume is actually more than 5 gallons and depending upon how much trub you have in your fermenter you'll probably be close.

and no I don't have another keg to top off... If there is extra, I'll have to bottle it. The tricky part will be how much corn sugar to put in.

the Bottle carb drops work wonders for small jobs like this.

I have only kegged until i just did a 1 gallon batch with some homegrown hops and not wanting to dirty a 5 gallon keg, i used the carb drops.

the beer turned out iffy, but the carb level is spot on.

Starting about 2:45-3:00 minutes in he shows how to bottle some beers first then go to your keg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put it all in the keg. I've been putting about 5.5 gallons in my corny kegs without any issues.

Back