top-up carboy before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Botanist~

Reaction score
hey, I'm about to bottle my first batch, and due to the sediment my 5 gal carboy is only about 2/3 full. Should I top it up with cool water?? boiled and cooled water?? or bottle as is?

thanks,
b

I wouldn't recommend it unless you would like to water down the beer. If you make larger batches to begin with you can end up with 5 good gallons to bottle up or keg.

Thanks for the input CD, I appreciate it.

I went ahead and bottled everything last night, primed w/corn sugar, and did not top up. I got ~42 bottles, so no worries.

I also racked it before bottleing and allowed time for any additional sediment to fall out of solution.

Now I just need to figure out how long to wait for the priming sugar to carbonate the brew before drinking. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

B

Thanks for the input CD, I appreciate it.

I went ahead and bottled everything last night, primed w/corn sugar, and did not top up. I got ~42 bottles, so no worries.

I also racked it before bottleing and allowed time for any additional sediment to fall out of solution.

Now I just need to figure out how long to wait for the priming sugar to carbonate the brew before drinking. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

B

Good rule of thumb is three weeks to carb in bottles.

Keep your bottles at least 70 degrees and they will be good in 3 weeks. I always liked to sample one after a week, then 2 weeks but patience is needed in this phase.

You should brew another batch soon to keep the pipeline full so your not drinking your homebrew to early.

I usually start drinking them after 2 weeks in the bottle, but they definitely improve as time progresses.

Latest posts

Back