Top Off Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say, if i had 4.5 gallons of wort at 90 degrees, what temp would i have to have 0.5 gallons to bring down the temp to 75?

I don't have a calculator or formula for that. I doubt you could get water cold enough to bring that volume of wort down by 15 degrees, however. With my warm groundwater, I have difficulty getting the wort to 75 for pitching. I can get it to 80 after about an hour. For my next batch, I'm going to boil a gallon of water a few days in advance (to sanitize) and refrigerate it for topping off. If you don't find a calculator, maybe trial and error will get you there.

What you're asking is just simple arithmetic although you'll have a million variables.

Make a spreadsheet where you can punch in the numbers to get your answer.

It's as simple as one block being the current water temp divided by the new (colder) water temp based upon volume of both for your answer.

I may be wrong, but it should be something really simple like this, right?

V1=Volume of Wort
V2=Volume of Top Off Water
T1=Temp of cooled Wort
T2=Temp of Top Off Water
T3=Final Temp

T3=((V1*T1)+(V2*T2)) / (V1+V2)

Fill in variables as needed.

Say, if i had 4.5 gallons of wort at 90 degrees, what temp would i have to have 0.5 gallons to bring down the temp to 75?

At those volumes you can't do it. Low 80's is the best you will do.

Here is your excel formula: = SUMPRODUCT(E11:E12, F11:F12) / SUM(F11:F12)

In your data table column E has temp of the two liquids, column F has the respective volumes.

thanks everyone! i have had a hard time getting temps down with the groundwater so warm right now. i brew outside so the ice prechiller just isn't cutting the mustard. i am going to attempt this top off method this weekend.

Back