Top Cropping Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shyanny

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a hefe-weizen using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephen Weizen yeast. Wyeast recommends having 33% headspace. I dont have near this much headspace. Am i going to loose much of my yeast in blowoff and how's this gonna effect my fermentation?

Keep it cool, low 60's. It's an aggressive yeast but I've never had the headspace issues when I keep it cool.

Also if you plan on brewing subsequent batches, you can scrape off the top layer of yeast once it clears into a sanitized jar...store in the fridge for next batch

Pitch the proper amounts of healthy yeast and even if stuff comes out the top you should have plenty of yeast remaining to finish the job.

I have had a few beers overflow the airlock and the beer still tasted good in the end. I wouldn't worry you might want to add a blow off tube just in case because when it does overflow it makes an big mess

You should have at least 20% headspace, or you will be losing yeast with a blowoff, esp. with a high OG beer. Less yeast can lead to higher FG, which isn't desireable.

Back