Top Cropping (how to keep it)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
I use an ale pail so I plan on skimming about a cup of krausen off the top of my not quite beer currently fermenting (Belgian Dubbel). Is 1 cup enough? After I skim it off the top, how do I keep it? Can I just spray down a mason jar with sanitizer and fill with the cup of krausen and place in the fridge?

Should I make a small starter first, decant, and then store in the fridge. I'd like to blend this (3787) with a fresh pack of a different Wyeast (1214) next time I brew a dubbel.

Just figured I'd give an update.

I top cropped yeast yesterday, full week and day after fermentation so not exactly the best time to do so. Ignoring that....

All I did was rinse out my mason far with hot water, let cool, sprayed with sanitizer and scooped up some krausen off the top with a sanitized measuring cup. I probably have about 1/2 cup of krausen just sitting in the fridge. I figured I'll make a starter with it a little while before I want to brew my next Belgian beer. Hopefully I did everything correct, seemed far too easy a way to reuse yeast. I mean why yeast wash when you can just scoop it off the top?

i have no idea about answering your questions, but i'm curious to see how your starter does with that top cropped yeast. please let us know.

I think a lot of people and breweries who top crop use it to pitch directly into a new batch of beer or a starter. I'm sure you can store it, but the sooner you use it, the better.

The spoilage aspect is very interesting. To prevent that couldn't I create a 1 quart starter, pitch the yeast and just keep the sediment on the bottom.

At this point I might as well just wash the yeast from primary but I'm already committed so I'm trying to salvage.

I have done this a couple of times and it works great. I don't see why it would store any different from yeast on the bottom of the fermenter. I usually make a starter since I am never sure exactly how much yeast I get from top cropping... there are so many bubbles in there...

Thanks, I'll create a starter tonight and then save the slurry. Just by making a starter before brewing with it I will find out if it is viable, but definitely nice to know someone else has done it.

First update:
Made a starter, probably too small. I didn't realize how much krausen I collected. Only did a 1/2 quart at about 1.040.

The yeast is going nuts, never seen a starter pick up like this. It doesn't smell sour so I'm thinking it is going to be good. I might pitch a 1 quart starter on top of it just to make sure all the yeasts got enough food, then I'll save in the mason jar. I probably won't do another belgian for awhile, but when I do I'll try and remember to update. I might actually try and pitch this in an English beer.

Back