Top coat needed for epoxy bar top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupapolice14

Reaction score
Epoxy was poured two days ago on my hockey stick bar top and it has to cure for at least 3 days. The bar is being kept indoors in our attic, which receives periodic sunlight. I've read epoxy can turn Amber due to uv. I've searched high and low but cannot get a definitive answer on whether a top coat (poly, etc) is needed for uv protection and durability. If I do one I want to make sure it will bind to the epoxy and not ruin it! Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks! View attachment IMG_2857.jpgView attachment IMG_2856.jpg

What kind of epoxy did you use? There are a lot that are actually UV resistant. I don't think periodic sunlight will have any effect. Otherwise, if you're that worried about it you can tint the window that's allowing all the light in.

West system has a clear hardener with uv inhibitor in it which will help prevent yellowing/hazing. Its a product for marine applications.

As for the proper application, I do not know. Id probably call a place like west and ask.

I finish my canoe paddles with West System epoxy (105 resin, 207 special clear hardener), with a top coat of spar varnish for UV protection. This works really well.

What kind of epoxy did you use? There are a lot that are actually UV resistant. I don't think periodic sunlight will have any effect. Otherwise, if you're that worried about it you can tint the window that's allowing all the light in.

Famowood glaze coat epoxy. The bar will definitely be indoors but near a window that gets mostly early day sunlight

I finish my canoe paddles with West System epoxy (105 resin, 207 special clear hardener), with a top coat of spar varnish for UV protection. This works really well.

Is the spar varnish like minwax helmsman spar urethane? How do you apply it to the epoxy? I used famowood glaze coat epoxy

Is the spar varnish like minwax helmsman spar urethane? How do you apply it to the epoxy? ...

Yep, Helmsman is what I used.

Clean any amine blush off your epoxy with warm water and some detergent, and dry it thoroughly. I wouldn't try spraying spar urethane, the overspray would be a sticky mess, so I just painted it on with a brush. I think that's actually what Helmsman recommends. It smooths out very nicely. Here's a paddle grip I made that's coated with epoxy and spar varnish.

View attachment 420547

I asked a very similar question to some wood workers and they recommended I use polyurethane vs spar varnish. Spar varnish is for exterior use and is softer than poly. The poly will give you a more durable finish.

Oh yeah, cool bar top for sure!

Back