Top 5 must have hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You are going to be sent to a deserted island with all your beer making needs - but you only get to choose 5 hops. That's it. 5 hops for all the castaway beer . What are your most important 5 hops you would choose?

These are mine - in no order.

1) cascade
2) Saaz
3) fuggle
4) centennial
5) amarillo

I'm heavily biased owing to injury: Fuggles, EKG's and their immediate relatives seem to have a mild muscle-relaxant property that other hops lack, particularly when combined with dark to amber malts...after that; Magnum, Willamette and Citra.
I suspect the harsh labour conditions of the industrial revolution in Britain were in fact sustained by Fuggles and EKGs..(That's actually a full half of why I got into homebrewing :p )
:mug:

Mittelfruh
Cascade
EKG
Mandarina Bavaria
Northern Brewer

Not in that same order but these are the ones that I use the most,

Hasn't got much Spam in it as Spam, eggs, sausage and Spam, has it?

I'm having Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam, Spam, Spam, and Spam!
Do you have the meat product in the US.I thought the Vikings brought it to AEngleland. Raping and pillaging was bad Spam was their worst crime. Although German sausage is the worst. 🤣🤣

I'm a fairly new brewer (~2yr) and so I think I can list every hop I've used (apart from those in the few kits I've done):

Cascade
Palisade
Azacca
EKG
Mt. Hood

Citra, Idaho7, Mosaic, EKG, and Magnum seem to be the hops I use the most. But I'll be using Nectaton for the first time later this summer, so we'll see if that supplants something on my list.

Barbe Rouge, Amarillo, Mosaic - without these I wouldn't have my flagship beer.
Magnum - The only thing I bitter with.
Centennial/Cascade - total work horses in the brewery, in almost every beer.

Never tried Mittelfrueh... Need to check it out. What styles is that hop best used?
It's one of the four noble hops, possibly the most famous. You could call it the "original" Hallertau since, as far as I'm aware, all other Hallertau variants descend from Hallertau Mittelfruh. It's mainly used in all German styles of lager, but it gets quite a bit of use in ales too (altbier as just one example, but I've used it in Berliner Weisse quite a few times).

Thanks - I looked it up and wondered if I had used it since I often use hallertau but that's all they call it. Hallertau... (A nobile traditional hop)... Or is that a different hop?

Thanks - I looked it up and wondered if I had used it since I often use hallertau but that's all they call it. Hallertau... (A nobile traditional hop)... Or is that a different hop?
Hallertau is a region, and there are several varieties that come from there. It's in German, but google translates pretty well.

https://www.hopfenland-hallertau.de/die-hallertau/hopfen-und-bier

Which types of hops are there in Hallertau?​

Around 25 different types of hops are grown in Hallertau, and they play a major role on the world market. Newer varieties have become particularly popular because they produce higher yields, are more resistant to diseases and pests when grown, or add special flavors to the beer:

• The “Herkules” hop variety is the most sought-after hop variety in the world.
    A variety - bred by the Hüll Hop Research Center - that is mainly used to add bitterness to beer.
  • The hop variety “Perle” is also a cultivated variety, known for its slightly fruity and woody-spicy character.
  • The “Hallertauer Tradition” , another cultivated variety, has a citrus-fruity, slightly floral aroma.
  • The “Hallertauer Mittelfrüh” is the original local variety of Hallertau, spicy and somewhat fruity in aroma, with light citrus notes.
Several types of hops are usually combined to make beer. For example, “Herkules” for the bitterness and an “aroma variety” such as “Hallertauer Mittelfrüh” or “Hallertauer Tradition” for the typical hop aroma in the beer. In addition to the classic “bitter varieties” (or “high alpha varieties”) and “aroma varieties”, so-called “flavor hops” such as “Mandarina Bavaria” or “Callista” are increasingly being bred and grown in Hallertau. These are mainly used for “craft beers” , especially those with a strong hop aroma.

Generally when it just says "Hallertau," that's specifically Hallertau Mittelfruh. When it's another kind, they usually add the clarification such as with "Hallertau Tradition" or "Hallertau Blanc."

Generally when it just says "Hallertau," that's specifically Hallertau Mittelfruh. When it's another kind, they usually add the clarification such as with "Hallertau Tradition" or "Hallertau Blanc."
If so... Than I use mittelfrüh quite often. Love it. .. also use hallertau blanc sometimes late in the boil or as an aroma hop

Back