Top 10 Best Beer Cities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that list too, and have been to a few of the cities but need to make it to the rest! It also makes me thankful to be near Milwaukee with a great beer scene!

I love being close enough to take weekend trips down to San Diego. There are so many awesome breweries down there.

Sorry ADD here. Got bored on City 2. Was St Louis on there?

St Louis gets my vote even though I have never been there. Schlafly's tap room is my mecca. I will get there.

I can't argue with those cities listed, but I would add Chicago to that. Several up and coming breweries showing tons of promise AND easy driving from Milwaukee so you can hit two in one swing. ALSO, last I heard none of the BMCs had officially taken over Chicago, and it is a battleground, which leaves a little more wiggle room for the little guys.

Halfacre
Two Brothers
Flossmore
Metropolitan

I love being close enough to take weekend trips down to San Diego. There are so many awesome breweries down there.

I love being IN San Diego, especially the part where I'm a 15 minute drive from Port Brewing/Lost Abbey.

:ban:

I can't argue with those cities listed, but I would add Chicago to that. Several up and coming breweries showing tons of promise AND easy driving from Milwaukee so you can hit two in one swing. ALSO, last I heard none of the BMCs had officially taken over Chicago, and it is a battleground, which leaves a little more wiggle room for the little guys.

Halfacre
Two Brothers
Flossmore
Metropolitan

+1 to this as a native and current Chicagoan. Moving to a few blocks from Half Acre August 1 :tank:

Austin, TX should be on that list soon. Sooo many great breweries in and around Austin.

Glad to see Ft. Collins on there. It's definitely a beer mecca.

I think San Diego is pretty solid. I lived in San Diego and now live in Seattle and think the beer presence is higher in Seattle than it is down there. My best friend just moved to Portland so I am pretty excited to slip on down there for some trips.

I love being IN San Diego, especially the part where I'm a 15 minute drive from Port Brewing/Lost Abbey.

:ban:

If I could pick anywhere in SD County to live it would be in Carlsbad. Love that city. Every time we drive down south we make it a point to time it so we can grab dinner at Fish House Vera Cruz. I love the Lost Abbey taproom, it's so laid back compared to a lot of other breweries.

Asheville, baby! If I didn't love to homebrew, there wouldn't be any point. The beer is amazing here. And there were a few breweries left off the description.

Denver should be on the list. Lots of great breweries in and around downtown and Dry Dock Brewing is just a few miles away. Not to mention GABF is here every year.

I guess they mean in the USA. The best beer I have ever had was in my Grandma's home town of Bad Windsheim Germany. Burgerbrau is the name and no it is not for export. Almost every town in Germany has its own brew. Talk about a land of breweries. If you are ever in Germany and have the chance try it. For my palette it has always been the best. Everything else falls short. Although there are many good beers. It is a quaint little town and my grandmother's house was inside the once castle walls so it was very unique and built about 1100 AD and the town about 750 AD. You can use the trains to get to it and the surrounding larger cities of nuremburg, rottenburg, wruzburg and such. It is known for its mineral baths.

Washington DC's young beer scene is kind of blowing up over the past couple years, definitely worth checking out if you're in the area:

-DC Brau (2011)
-Chocolate City (2011)
-3 Stars (starting production this summer, but they already have a homebrew store operating on site!)

In the metro area:
-Port City (Alexandria, VA since 2011)
-Flying Dog (moved to Frederick, MD in 2008ish)

Plus many brewpubs, and bars and liquor stores stocking tons of new and exciting craft and import brews.

Not to mention much of the Virginia scene referenced on the list being within a relatively short drive...

Portland, ME could be a great roadtrip from Boston. Any locals on here with recommendations on where to stay? I'd like to disappear into a cabin on a lake and emerge only to visit the breweries and buy steak.

Back