top 10 best and worst city water in the US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be something HBT is adding to the link and it's not redirecting properly. Go here then:

green.yahoo.com/blog/the_conscious_consumer/110/cities-with-best-and-worst-tap-water.html

Probably don't need to point this out, since most of your are engineers/techies and know how to read the footnotes, but this top/bottom 10 city list is using only 'big cities' of 250,000 or more, so if you live in city smaller than that, it wouldn't have a chance to get in the top/bottom 10 listed by yahoo. The full report looks like it's more inclusive.

Thanks for the link!

Ever since I took a closer look at their sunscreen safety ratings, I don't trust EWG (who did this water report). Some of the most "dangerous" sunscreens had nothing in them known to harm humans. Basically they put environmentalism ahead of science, which is what bothers me. Their website is so slow at the moment that I'm not going to wait hours for it to load so that I can read the details of the water report, but I doubt it has any information that you can't get from local sources or from the people who provide your water.

San Diego=#9 worst? I thought with all the rich bastards living around me that we'd have one of the best filtration systems in the country! Can't say my water (in north county) has ever been nothing short of sparkling.

This Best/Worst list is based on safety & contamination issues so it doesn't necessarily have any relationship to the water's suitability for brewing. My water source is #2 on the list and it does happen to be very good brewing water. http://www.provwater.com/water_char.htm

Cities with the best water:

Arlington, TX
Providence, RI
Fort Worth, TX
Charleston, SC
Boston, MA
Honolulu, HI
Austin, TX
Fairfax County, VA
St. Louis, MO
Minneapolis, MN

Cities with the worst water:

Pensacola, FL
Riverside, CA
Las Vegas, NV
Riverside County, CA
Reno, NV
Houston, TX
Omaha, NE
North Las Vegas, NV
San Diego, CA
Jacksonville, FL

San Diego=#9 worst? I thought with all the rich bastards living around me that we'd have one of the best filtration systems in the country! Can't say my water (in north county) has ever been nothing short of sparkling.

Maybe because of all the old pipes used to make the system?

I've seen a different list of the same sort, that had Some place in TN as #1, then Oregon IIRC. I can't find the link now, but San Diego was #3 worst and LA was worst.

Latest posts

Back