Tools for recipe formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AU_Bob

Reaction score
I have tried several on line tools recently to help with developing a new IPA recipe. Problem is I get a huge variation related to the IBU calculations, one calcs 54, another 152 with all variables the same. Is their an on line tool that is proven?
Looking at a 2 gal extract boil with this hop schedule for a 5 gal batch.
1.5oz Columbus @ 60
1.0oz Columbus @ 20
1.0oz Columbus @ 15
1.0oz centennial @ 10
0.5oz williamette @5

Thanks for the help.

http://users.rcn.com/thor.dnai/dboard/dbnewsl/t9509d.htm

I like using hopville because they have all the IBU calculations, and you can choose which to use, or average them all out.

Also, it's basically impossible to get over 120 IBU, despite what the calculators will estimate. Scientific evidence hasn't nailed down the exact upper limit, although it appears to be based partially on gravity. So if your calculator is telling you you'll have 152 IBU, get a different calculator.

I started off using HopVille and continue to put my recipes up there. But I recently downloaded BeerSmith and I recommend you doing the same. They have a 21-day free demo; definitely worth using it even if you aren't going to pay for it once the trial is over.

I use beersmith too, but if I have a good recipe, I'll put it on hopville. I recently had my computer crash, and I lost all my beersmith recipes, but luckily I had most of them on hopville too. So, remember to back up your important files.

Thanks guys. Looks like Beersmith and Promash are not mac compatible. Hopville had it @ 52 which is in line with what I was expecting. But it freaked me out a little with such a wild swing. The other numbers came from tasty brew.

Latest posts

Back