Too warm pitching temperature...too fast fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyderb

Reaction score
A day ago I pitched the yeast for my beer and I now realize that it was way too warm to pitch (probably in the range of 85 - 95 f). After about six hours I came home and the beer was going crazy and bubbling violently. After about 12 to 15 hours later there is very little if any bubbling going on.

The temperature now is around ambient temperature of about 68 - 70. Is the done, just rather quickly or is it stuck? Also, what should I expect flavor wise pitching at such a high temperature?

I am trying to make a milk stout using:

Munton's Irish Stout Extract Kit +
3 lbs. dry dark malt (instead of sugar)
1 lbs. lactose

for a 5 gallon batch using the dry yeast provided for me by Muntons.

I took a gravity reading around 1.045 but I'm not sure if that is totally accurate.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Take gravity reading for 3 days and if they are constant, then your brew is done.
I would say it's done anyway at those temps. Is that 1045 the OG or the present gravity? If the present gravity, then I would say it isn't done yet.

You can expect the beer to be not as good as if it were fermented cool. Most likely you'll get more fusels and esters than what you would want.

It could be done. Yeast works much faster at higher temperatures and both growth and fermentation produce additional heat. If the yeast was Muntons rather than Muntons Gold, the FG should be around 1.015.

That much lactose is going to give you a very sweet stout regardless.

Back