Too soon to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomek322

Reaction score
I hace a Hefe in the primary. I wanted to bottle and brew another batch tomorrow. The airlock has no activity, but there is still a very small layer of krausen. OG was 1.58, it's was at 1.2 yesterday(one bubble per 12seconds), today it's at 1.016.

Before you ask what the rush is to get it into bottles... well... i'm out of homebrew.

Sounds too soon to me.

Get a carboy to use as a secondary, not only will you get clearer beer that's better conditioned, it'll free up your bucket so you can get back to brewing.

If you can't swing a carboy right now a second bucket will still let you overlap batches.

Otherwise, get to the store and buy some beer, you probably need some bottles anyway.

Ya, I would say to soon also. If your in a hurry, I guess you could back down on the priming sugar but who knows how much? You may could bottle it without priming sugar if you have enough residual sugar left but who knows what that magic number is....Plus there are some reprecussions from getting it off the yeast cake too quick also....Wait it out thats my opinion or as Barley has said get a carboy or secondary in a Keg.......Good luck

Barley-Davidson said:
Sounds too soon to me.

Get a carboy to use as a secondary, not only will you get clearer beer that's better conditioned, it'll free up your bucket so you can get back to brewing.

If you can't swing a carboy right now a second bucket will still let you overlap batches.

Otherwise, get to the store and buy some beer, you probably need some bottles anyway.

Yea, do that, but don't use a secondary for a hefe....keep the yeast. But yes, it is too soon to bottle.

corn suger + unfinished fermentation = bottle bombs! If there is absolutely no change after 2-3 days between gravity checks you're safe. Fermentations finish out much faster with temps in the low to mid 70's than 60-70 range.

Don't worry about enough yeast in your hefe bottles. Bottle conditioning will bring them right back

Don't bottle while the gravity is still changing. Cough up a few bucks & support your local microbrewery!

Latest posts

Back