Too Much Yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyO

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of reading "How to Brew" by John Palmer online as recommended by HBT (picking up a chapter here and there at work when the boss isn't watching). It seems as though Mr. Palmer is an advocate of pitching at least 2 packets of yeast (when using dry yeast) to insure a good, fast fermentation. Could some of the more experienced brewers give advice on this. It seems that overpitching is not a good idea, but I'm only on my second batch. I've pitched one packet each time and things have turned out well. My fermentations have been a bit slow, but I think that it's been a problem of not properly aerating my wort rather than a yeast problem. Just wondering what you guys think.

There are 6 gram packs and 11 gram packs of dry yeast. The 11 gram packs should work just fine on a mid gravity ale. Fermentation temps and aeration would be a better area of focus to make better beer.

I'm curious, too: is there such a thing as too much yeast? I've been following Palmer's book, so I use two packets of dry yeast, and have been making starters -- even for "pitchable" packs of yeast. And I have been experiencing "mad fermentation" -- the blowoff tube is de rigeur now.

Are there any downsides to this much yeast?

The only cases of "too much yeast" would be through pitching onto a fairly large cake from another batch, and from pitching 10 or so packs of yeast.

Underpitching happens in 99.5% of all homebrews. Better to err on the side of over if you asked me.

It is much harder to overpitch than underpitch, but it is possible. As mentioned, pitching wort onto a previous batch's yeast cake is the common way. Although overpitching can lead to off-flavours in your beer, it is generally not as big a problem as with off-flavours associated with under-pitching.

However, there are some notable brews where over-pitching can be a real problem. Any beer where a large part of the flavour profile comes from the yeast (e.g. fruity ester flavours or spicey phenolic flavours -- a German hefeweizen or Belgian witbier are good examples, as are many estery British beers).

Good information, thanks. Sounds like it's not a bad idea to go ahead and pitch a couple of packets to make sure fermentation goes well (although it sounds like a blow-off tube) might be a must-have.

Back