Too Much Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackHat

Reaction score
I have an extra yeast packet in my fridge and I'm about to start my next batch. I want to make sure this batch has enough, so I was thinking about using both. I have a smack pack of irish ale yeast and a White Labs irish ale vial - what would you recommend to get maximum yeast production? Is it possible to have too much yeast? This is going to be an OG 1.040 batch.

Naw, bro. Methinks you don't need to pitch 2. Just make a starter 3 days before you brew and you will be fine with one. At $6 each, you don't need to spend the extra $.

I second the starter! You can pitch it before 3 days if you really don't have the time, just wait until it has reached a high level of activity. (At least, I've done it before, and it worked out)

make a starter. its unlikely that those two yeast strains are identical...which causes them to 'compete' for food in the wort.
sometimes its not a problem, sometimes it creates some off flavors that'll age out, and sometimes it just gives you an unpredictable final product.

starters are for creating more yeast of the same strain in an inexpensive manner. just be sure to maintain sanitizing habits.

Back