Too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalltownbrewer

Reaction score
Just wondering if there can be to much yeast, I have been brewing the brewhouse beer kits and using different types of yeast. Now I am going to do another brewhouse pilsner kit and have an extra package of coopers yeast, so if I put two packs, each eleven grams each, would this be too much?

Your risk of under pitching, especially on a lager, is much greater than over pitching. On the scale most of us are brewing at its not a huge concern unless you go berserk and pitch a crapload of yeast. With the lager your doing your going to need a lot of yeast assuming its a 5 gal or larger batch. Check out mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com to give you a good estimate on what the pitching rate is. Are both yeasts lager yeast strains?

They are both general cooper yeast that come with each brewhouse kit. I have done this kit before with this yeast and turned out very well.

I have pitched two packs. Fermentation starts faster, finishes sooner. Another option is to pitch one pack and save the other. Then you have a backup in case of a yeast failure. That has happened to me, also.

I don't know what cell the counts are those, maybe there site has info on it, but I would venture a guess that if you were to pitch both it would not be a problem. If you brewed this before with positive results using just one packet go the same route and save the other one for another day.

Your fine. You can over-pitch, but you will need a sh*t-load of yeast to do it. Pitching straight on a yeast cake is over-pitching. It will still ferment the beer, but you will lose a lot of the yeast flavors since there will not be a lot of reproduction, and you will have 'old' yeast doing most of the work.

I think many people actually under-pitch. With 2 pack you will be fine.

Back