Too Much Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Nickhouse80

Reaction score
I used Nottingham and White Labs American Ale yeast in the same 5 gallon batch. (Just experimenting) Now I have an unbelievable amount of yeast settlement. I could only siphon about 3 gallons out of the primary to the secondary because there was literally 4.5 inches of yeast in the bottom of my carboy. Did I use too much yeast or is there another way to avoid this? Probably a stupid question.

rsmith179

Reaction score
Sounds like you may have more of a trub problem than too much yeast. The yeast are only going to multiply to a certain point, definately not 2 gallons worth. I have a feeling that what you're seeing in the bottom is a lot of hot/cold break proteins, hop sediment, and some yeast. Post a pic if you can...

pericles

Reaction score
Did you wait your usual amount of TIME, or just transfer when you got the right hydrometer readings? Remember, GRAVITY plays a part in compacting the trub, so even if your double shot of yeast sped up primary fermentation a little, gravity takes just as long to compact your trub.

OP
N

Nickhouse80

Reaction score
I didn't even think to take a pic. A lot of it was probably trub but it was the most vicious fermentation I've seen yet. It was in primary for 2 weeks at 68 degrees and the trub was completely compacted. I tried to strain as much as I could when I started the primary but obviously didn't get all of it. I had a lot of ingredients in this one, more than usual.