Too much yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMG680

Reaction score
So is there such a thing. I have a starter and it looks like the yeast was bad, but tomorrow is my brew day, so can i just add two packs of dry yeast and not worry about the starter..... So can you have to much yeast for a big beer, like OG of 1.135?

Here's a link to Mr Malty's pitching rate calculator. It'll give you an idea for the optimal amount to pitch for a given wort.

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

Yes, you can overpitch as well as underpitch yeast. In this case, for a 1.135 (!!!) wort I don't think 2 packs of dry yeast will be overpitching. Run it through the calculator and see what happens.

wow it says 5.5 packs of 5 Gram dry yeast, or 2.2 of liquid in a 5.5 liter starter.... wow, i have some work cut out for me.

Yeah, with a beer that... freakin' huge... I'd brew something else and then pitch this one on to a good percentage of the yeast cake from the first.

For a 1.135 beer, pitching on a cake is the way to go. Too late for this run.

Make certain you've got a yeast that can handle the ABV or plan on re-pitching to finish the fermentation.

For a 1.135 beer, pitching on a cake is the way to go. Too late for this run.

Make certain you've got a yeast that can handle the ABV or plan on re-pitching to finish the fermentation.

what do you thing would work for a English Barley wine. I don't mind Dry or liquid

2 packages of S05 or S04.

S05 will make for a clean ferment. S04 will give you those english esters that you might want.

Back