too much water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohanTheMighty

Reaction score
I am making a bourbon barrel stout that is supposed to be around 10.5% ABV. I made a silly mistake when preparing this, too much water, and now instead of a 5 gallon batch, I'm looking at something more like 5.5 gallons. I've been brewing for about 4 years, and so this is just my most recent mistake of the many I have made along the way. I'm not so much concerned about having ruined my batch as I am whether I can do something to get the ABV back to 10.5% and regain head retention. I was thinking, maybe boiling a 1/2 pound of LME in a quart of water maybe? I don't intend to rack to a secondary, so the fermentation would complete in the primary.

I would let it ride. But you could add fermentables to boost it if you wanted.

Yeah, I'd let it ride as well, so you overshot the H2O by 10% perhaps? Youll still end up with a plenty stout stout....and yeah, of course, you could add more fermentables if you feel the need...extract would be the most likely choice, I'd imagine, or honey (I mention the honey as it ferments completely and I almost always have honey on hand...generally make meads anymore). If you're motivated, boost it. The beer should still be more than fine if you just sit back and let it go :)

Back