too much volume in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I am making a pumpkin ale and was supposed to have 7 gal in my kettle and I just measured 9.

any ideas how i messed up?

i started with 9 gallons of water so did i extract enough fluid from the canned pumpkin to subtract from the grain absorption? I used a 100 oz can of pumpkin

unbelievable I dont believe it.

so if I want to reduce the volume to hit my tartget volume I will need to boil for 120 min before I add my 60 min hops and continue as expected to hit my target volume into fermentor.

[so did i extract enough fluid from the canned pumpkin to subtract from the grain absorption?/QUOTE]

That or you made an error in the initial measurement. Don't forget, there will be a great deal of trub. You might want to set your target volume higher.

[so did i extract enough fluid from the canned pumpkin to subtract from the grain absorption?/QUOTE]

That or you made an error in the initial measurement. Don't forget, there will be a great deal of trub. You might want to set your target volume higher.

dave you were right, my initial measurement was off. So when I added extra boil time I ended up with much less than my target of 5.5 gallons.

I added purified tap water to top off as much as I had in the fridge ad got to ~ 5gallons.

Not a pumpkin thing but i think my measuring stick is off.

Your measuring stick is off. When I compared it to mine your 9 gallons is my 8 gallons. I will correct your stick and give it back.

Back