Too much trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DryHeat

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch last Sunday, a Breakfast Stout kit from NB. Everything went well, no big mistakes. I used an ice bath and a gallon of top off water to cool my wort, got it down to 68° in about 15-20 minutes. I ended up with 5.5 gallons of wort in my primary. Well it's been a week now and I have almost a full gallon of trub in my carboy. Is it normal to have this much? The only thing I can think of that may have contributed that much is that I didn't strain my wort when I transferred it to my carboy.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the answer is, but I experienced the same on my first all grain brew. I transferred that batch to a secondary today and left the bottom gallon in the fermentor to keep the sediment down in the finished product.

knowltonm

Reaction score
depending on recipe and technique the amount of trub can vary greatly. I probably have about .25-.5 gal with my current setup and technique, but if you didn't strain into the fermenter then that's a big reason. I get a nice bag full of stuff when I dump through a mesh bag.

OP
D

DryHeat

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. My wort was very dark since I made a stout so I couldn't really see the cold break or anything else floating in there. I will be sure to strain it next time, see what a difference it makes.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. My wort was very dark since I made a stout so I couldn't really see the cold break or anything else floating in there. I will be sure to strain it next time, see what a difference it makes.
You can do that if it bothers you. Since it doesn't affect the beer at all, I don't bother straining much unless I have so many hops that the fermenter would be mostly hops and little wort! I just rack off of the trub, and my beers turn out ok.

uglygoat

Reaction score
like yoop says, just aim a bit high of the trub when you rack. it won't hurt anything, and gives the yeasts something to chase around during primary. :fro:

TeleTwanger

Reaction score
Trubs a good thing for yeast. Try whirlpooling next time (take a big, sanitized spoon and create a whirlpool then let that settle out for 30 minutes before racking to the carboy. That's all I do, I don't strain and have normal amounts of trub.

david_42

Reaction score
Leave the brew in the fermenter for about a month and the trub will compress by at least half. I've had trub layers go from a gallon down to a quart after the third week.