Too much trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainFrank

Reaction score
Did my first all grain/ biab. I did a 2 gallon smash with 5lb of Vienna malt. I mashed the grain in 2.5gals of water in a paint strainer bag because I forgot to buy a proper bag. When all was done I had a ton of trub. I use a turkey baster to extract beer for gravity testing and I couldn’t do it without getting trub, that’s how much there was. Is this because I used the paint strainer bag?

Thanks. I’m definitely cold crashing this batch.

Time in the fermenter will do wonders for settling the trub. Don't be in a rush to bottle or keg the beer.

One advantage of cold crashing, provided you can get the beer cold enough, is that it can also settle out the proteins that cause chill haze. I need to let my bottles of beer set in the refrigerator a bit longer to let it settle.

Luckily I did a 2.5gal batch that I can throw in the fridge for a few days. I’m a big fan of cold crashing but my wife probably wouldn’t like me pulling out the shelves in the fridge to put a 5gallon bucket in there. Gonna check it tonight to see if it’s ready for a crash
I’ll post a picture and review when it’s drinking time

B56B3188-309C-4A21-99CD-82179FD1772B.jpeg
I guess I got some chill haze but I don’t mind. Tastes like Pabst but I wasn’t shooting for anything fancy with my first all grain and it being a smash. The only bad part of it is the slight aroma it has is not enticing. Good learning experience

That’s not chill haze. It’s just unfiltered homebrew. You can try clarifying with gelatin. Or let the bottles sit in a fridge for a few weeks and don’t disturb them. They’ll clarify

That picture is after a 3 day cold crash and a week in the fridge after a 3 week carbonation at 72 degrees. I’ve never had a cold crash come out that hazy. I opened another tonight and it s slightly clearer so I guess you’re right.

What an experience this has been. I tested all grain techniques and came out with a beer that is so simple that I can taste the absence of extract as well as the grapefruit/ white grape flavor of Citra hops. I don’t taste any grain though, even as it warms which is where I usually taste the grains.(is that a thing?)

Did my first all grain/ biab. I did a 2 gallon smash with 5lb of Vienna malt. I mashed the grain in 2.5gals of water in a paint strainer bag because I forgot to buy a proper bag. When all was done I had a ton of trub. I use a turkey baster to extract beer for gravity testing and I couldn’t do it without getting trub, that’s how much there was. Is this because I used the paint strainer bag?

It's a little late for this batch, but I deal with trub by tilting my fermenter before it settles.
I use plastic buckets with spigots located about 2" from the bottom. after i rack the wort and pitch, i set the bucket with the spigot edge of the bucket on top of a 2x4 piece of scrap. this way the trub settles away from the spigot and I get less transfer when racking to kegs/bottles. I also get a better yield.

good luck

It's a little late for this batch, but I deal with trub by tilting my fermenter before it settles.
I use plastic buckets with spigots located about 2" from the bottom. after i rack the wort and pitch, i set the bucket with the spigot edge of the bucket on top of a 2x4 piece of scrap. this way the trub settles away from the spigot and I get less transfer when racking to kegs/bottles. I also get a better yield.

good luck
Yeah I did that with this one. I always tilt my small batch fermenter but never my 5 gallon buckets because I siphon out of them. Now that I think of it I might as well do it with the buckets too. I just did a 5 gallon neipa and lost a lot to avoid trub in bottles

Next time try some Whirlfloc and a nicer bag. The kind that @wilserbrewer sells. Very nice quality. I've been using one of his for quite a while now and it is still going strong.

Don't forget to whirlpool with your spoon at the end of the boil, that helps some. Cold crashing will help. Time is probably your best friend though.

How do you whirlpool? Just give it a good stir and siphon from the side when it slows down?

That is correct. Get your wort spinning with your spoon, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then siphon from the side of the pot.

Back