Too much trub in primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nl724

Reaction score
Hey guys...I just got done brewing a porter. After I chilled my wort I took a sanitized spoon and swirled the wort around to center the trub in the middle of my brew pot. Unfortunately, I didn't wait long enough for all the trub to settle...and realized this after I was half way through siphoning it into my primary. Because of this I now have most of the trub, excluding hops because I use a hop bag, in my primary.

Will this lend a terrible off flavor? Will the beer turn out okay? Should I rack to a secondary as soon as the primary fermentation finishes?

No worries! The trub will settle and should not produce any negative effects for a loooooong time.

Mike

Ps: do not rush your beer off primary...this has the potential to do much more harm!

wilserbrewer said:
No worries! The trub will settle and should not produce any negative effects for a loooooong time.

Mike

Ps: do not rush your beer off primary...this has the potential to do much more harm!
+1 patience is a good thing on brewing.

You're fine....People didn't always do some of the common wisdoms things we do, like whirlpooling to let the trub settle, and they made great beer.

Just like everyone else said, patience is your friend....

I did this, but it was actually intentional. I added most of
all my hops at flameout, and got the wise idea that the
hops sediment should go with the wort into the primary
carboy....you know---- to inhance the hop aroma. At first I freaked
because the trub in the carboy was at least 3 inches thick!
Then around the 7th day it had compressed to no more than an inch
or more of sediment. I did rack right at 7 days to avoid whatever
the off flavors others talk about, but it's highly aromatic, and tasty...
IPA Extract with LATe DME/HOPS.

I say let the trub compress, and then rack to secondary

I've never racked from my boiling kettle in 13 years and never had an issue. I just cool it down to 70*F and dump the whole thing into the fermenter. It gives me a head start on aeration. YMMV

Letting it sit in the fermenter a little longer before racking will mean less material gets transfered, so the beer would be better. Give it two weeks, then rack.

Latest posts

Back