too much trub in primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfman

Reaction score
today i brewed my 1st batch using the late extract method. it was a cream ale so i wanted to try this method to keep it as light as possible. i added 1lb dme in the begining and then added the rest of the lme (6lbs) at flame out and let it sit for 15min before cooling it. i cooled it like i normally do in an ice bath but this time the trub didnt settle as well as it always does so most of it got dumped in the primary. will cause any negative effects besides making it cloudy??

thanks in advance for any help.

this may be a stupid question but... any recommendations for getting as much beer as possible off of a really thick layer of trub once all that settles out and fermentation is finished??

When you siphon your beer off of the trub to either a secondary clearing tank, or to the bottling bucket, just hold the racking cane above all the junk. Since you can't really see it at first, I just put the racking cane a little under the surface, and lower it as the beer level lowers. That keeps it above all the trub and you siphon clear beer off.

Other than the little nipple thing that goes on the end of the racking cane...

Go slowly.

Use magazines to slowly and steadily add tilt to the carboy (careful!)

Back