Too much top off water.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
Hey all! I brewed a really big beer last night and added too much top off water. The beer was a 5 gallon batch with a target O.G. of 1.086 and due to my top off addition I only hit 1.072 or 1.073.... Will this beer taste really off (watered down) due to this? I did make a starter with a half cup of extra light DME if that helps. It's the west coast mountains imperial IPA from northern brewer and all the comments said to add extra top off water cause the batch will only yield 35 bottles or so if you don't due to hop sludge. Thanks

You will be fine, 1.076 is still a hefty SG, depending on your FG you could end up with a 7-9% beer.

I think Pliny the elder is a1.076 beer.

Sent from the window of an airplane...

Is the volume in the fermentor above where you marked the 5 gallon line, or is the SG lower because the sample was from wort that was not thoroughly mixed?

Yes, sometimes OG on extract (assuming extract) can be misleading if you didn't mix well. I generally don't take OG on extract as I assume it will hit the target if the top of water is correct. Either way 1.072 will be a good imperial IPA.

Latest posts

Back