Too much sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acheuli_paige

Reaction score
OK, so I'm a noob, bear with me. I decided that I wanted to make a cider with a higher alcohol content, so I added four pounds of sugar and a can of juice concentrate to four and a half gallons of juice which made five gallons all together. I used Nottingham yeast. My hydrometer tells me the potential alcohol content is around 11%.

Three days later there is no activity at all, no bubbles, nothing. Did I use too much sugar for the little ale yeasties? Should I repitch with champagne yeast? It has also been pretty cold the past few days, and it's maybe 60F in my house. I have the carboy next to the radiator (not too close) to keep it warm, but I imagine it could still be too cold.

Help?

Yep, it's just juice, no additives. To clarify, I have made cider a few times before, just without added sugar.

60F shouldn't be too much of a problem, I've got very active ferments going on with the same temperature. Did you use a starter when you pitched the first time? I would repitch, but give the yeast a starter to make sure they are already on a roll before you pitch them into your must. Maybe raise the gravity of your starter a bit as well so when you pitch the yeast isn't going from nothing to a super high gravity.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

Thanks, guys. I opened the carboy to repitch today and there is definitely some action going on - I guess it must have just started today hence no bubbles yet. I made the amusing mistake of sticking my nose in there and taking a good whiff right after I pulled the lid off - I think I singed my nose hairs off.

Back