Too much Special Roast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrawkgeek

Reaction score
I am doing the recipe of Darth Vader Black IPA in the recipe section, and while i was milling my grains, I kind of milled an extra half pound of Special Roast and threw it all in a bag. So I've now got 3lbs of grain for a partial mash... And I don't know what to expect with it now.
Shouldn't of had that beer while i was measuring grains...
Any ideas????

I am doing the recipe of Darth Vader Black IPA in the recipe section, and while i was milling my grains, I kind of milled an extra half pound of Special Roast and threw it all in a bag. So I've now got 3lbs of grain for a partial mash... And I don't know what to expect with it now.
Shouldn't of had that beer while i was measuring grains...
Any ideas????

I would toss it and start over. You're talking <$6. An extra half lb of special roast is quite a lot.

If you know how much you have of each ingredient you could split the grains in two or three equal portions then just add to each pile the other grains to get a final bill for each. just my 2 cents.

I think you'll be ok (I haven't used special roast, so maybe not). If you're really worried about it, you could dump the grain into a bowl, mix it up real good and then take out a half pound. It would still throw off the recipe just a little, but would put you back closer to where you wanted to be. Or do what was suggested and dump it, start over.

Yeah, i don't have any more grain, and the brewshop is far away... What will it be like if i just brewed it the way it is... with the extra 0.5lbs...?

I think it will affect the overall flavor of your Black IPA significantly, but that doesn't mean it won't still be good. If it were me, I'd carry on like normal and enjoy what comes out the other end. If you don't totally love it then you know what NOT to do next time :D

I think it will affect the overall flavor of your Black IPA significantly, but that doesn't mean it won't still be good. If it were me, I'd carry on like normal and enjoy what comes out the other end. If you don't totally love it then you know what NOT to do next time :D

Thank you. I shall start up some water now then. See how it all turns out. I am a little frightened... but a little excited to see what happens. Special Roast is a biscuit, bready taste? We'll see what happens. Thanks!

Back