Too much special B?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansning

Reaction score
Hi seasoned home brewers,

I've been lurking for a while, and getting ready now for my second brew, and seeking your wisdoms.

I just got some grains from a local HBS who milled my grains all together, and leaves me worried about the ratios.

I had set out to make a Winter Wheat from Brooklyn Brew Shops recipe book, except scales up to 3 gal.

It calls for:
1.36 lbs of Wheat
0.5 of Munich
0.2 of biscuit
0.1 of special B

Instead, I got:
1kg of wheat
750g of Munich
750g of Biscuit
750g of Special B

They got milled together. I thought when I ordered I would get them in separate bags. Probably my fault for clarity but moving along...

My question is focused more on the Special B, and somewhat on the biscuit as well. Before I brew this, can someone give me an insight on whether I should even try a 1 gal batch of this? I found no recipes for special B to be more than 20% of grains.

Right now, I'm leaning to just ordering another 3kg of wheat and some more Munich as well to dilute the special B.

TL;DR
What will 23% of grains being Special B bee into?

special b is strong ju ju. at 23% you'll get the roasty flavor from it for sure. since it's already milled all you could do is add grain and do a bigger batch. just cut out the special b on the next purchase.

Thanks, I think this is a route I'll go. I do want it closer to the wheat I intended to brew anyway.

Back