Too much room in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballardinho

Reaction score
First brewing experience....

I know the debate re: whether or not to use a secondary for dry hop. I decided to do it, for a few different reasons.

Anyway...the picture below shows how much extra room I ended up with in carboy. Is there anything that should/could be done to prevent any bad outcomes? I don't really want to add water to it....

Thanks for any insight.

carboy room.jpg

Definitely don't add water. How long are you plannign on keeping it in secondary? I wouldn't be to concerned with it personall, but I don't do many big hop beers and oxygenation will affect hops more so than anything... at this point though you're better off leaving it there than trying to move it to a third container IMO.

...but get a 5gal carboy if you plan to secondary on a regular basis. Certainly won't hurt to have less headspace.

Looks fine to me.
There's still co2 being released, even in small amounts.
As long as you saw at least a little activity in your airlock, you're good IMO and I wouldn't be worried about oxidation.

You're absolutely fine. Cover the carboy with something such as a towel to keep the light out, if you haven't been doing that already.

Back