Too much RB, what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SporkD2

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I was milling the grain for my Irish red using two crystals and RB.

As I was loading the barley crusher for the second time I turned my drill too hard and tipped the BC causing some of the grain to spill. Since I added my specialty grains last that is what I mostly lost. I used the broom and made a pile of all the grains that I had lost and had to eyeball which I lost and how much. I added a bit more of the crystals and RB.

My brew went great, hit all my gravitys, except my beer was dark purple.

I am assuming this is too much RB, what kind of flavors can I except from this mistake? I took a sample today, hit my 1.012 as my FG. I cant quite put my finger on the taste, but first impression was I didnt like it.

Too much RB= coffee. Some of the high Lovibond crystals can give you a plum-like flavor when used in excess. Special B is the worst.

will this diminish over time? I just dont know if this is going to give me a desirable taste..

If it's too roasty, that'll diminish. I did an Irish stout that was too much RB (12% or 14% instead of 10%), but within a few weeks it was pretty much spot-on. If it's more the dark-fruit character of the really dark crystals, I think it's probably in there for good.

Beer flavors almost always mellow in time. I'd give it a couple weeks to clear, then check it again.

Irish Red seems to be one of those beers that takes a long time to mellow out and taste right... at least 8 weeks.

I transferred my last Irish Red last weekend to the keg. I had 1 oz of RB in mine and it's about all I could taste in the sample.

- Eric
:mug:

Back