Too much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianos

Reaction score
So I was bottling my batch of pilsner today and it went really well, too well in fact. Because when we put the priming sugar in our 330ml bottles we missed the text that said "Per Liter" and I did't see it until recently. So we put 6gr/bottle when it was soposed to be 2gr/bottle, basically 3x as much for you who don't use metric. I googled around a bit and found that most people recommended putting it back in the fermentation keg but that's not an option since we cleaned it already. The recipe says they are to be stored in 4°C for 4 weeks. I also read tinfoil was recommended for a week and then priming them again so I've taken of the caps now and put tin foil over the bottles and they now sit in the fridge at 4°C until I know what to do.
Should I keep them like this and then prime them again? Or is it safe to put new caps on? I'm just worried they will explode if I do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

maybe observe if it looks like its working and if not, cap it and keep them in a cardboard 12pk until you see if they are bombs.

But yeah, at 3x the priming sugar you should not cap the bottles at this time. If you do, you will get glass grenades at some point, and without a safety pin. ;)

That low of a temperature is mostly meant for Lagering. Carbonation will be very slow at those temps, and take several months if at all.

Can you post the recipe or a link to it?

Take a look at this thread for ideas:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/lager-has-very-low-carbonation.93702/

The recipe is in Swedish sadly but I think you are right about the lagering! I will take out the bottles then I think and then put them in after they carbonated. If I wait a week or so with the caps, will I have to put new sugar in or should the excess sugar already in there be enough to make them carbonated?
Thx for the replies :)

The recipe is in Swedish sadly
Sorry, I didn't realize you're in Sweden.
Maybe you could enter your location into your member profile. Generally, Sweden would just be fine. We don't need to know your exact town or so, but it may not hurt, and inform others. Who knows who you'd meet here?

What yeast did you use? That's essential to determine her optimal temp range.

The safest way is to raise the temps to your yeast's fermenting comfort zone, so your overcharge of priming sugars can ferment out over the next few weeks, then reprime with the exact amount of priming sugar and recap. Leave at that temp for 2-4 weeks and then put a bottle in the fridge for 2 days and see how carbonation is coming along. If perfect, chill the others. You may want to keep them cold (1-10C) to clarify more over time if needed.

Sorry, I didn't realize you're in Sweden.
Maybe you could enter your location into your member profile. Generally, Sweden would just be fine. We don't need to know your exact town or so, but it may not hurt, and inform others. Who knows who you'd meet here?

What yeast did you use? That's essential to determine her optimal temp range.

The safest way is to raise the temps to your yeast's fermenting comfort zone, so your overcharge of priming sugars can ferment out over the next few weeks, then reprime with the exact amount of priming sugar and recap. Leave at that temp for 2-4 weeks and then put a bottle in the fridge for 2 days and see how carbonation is coming along. If perfect, chill the others. You may want to keep them cold (1-10C) to clarify more over time if needed.

Oh nice, didn't know you could do that, I literally just made an account to get help on this matter. The Yeast I'm using is Saflager W-30/70 so the temp should be around 12°C if I'm not mistaken :)

You can vent them periodically. I've had to do this before. Give them a week then lift the lids just enough to let out some pressure, then re-crimp the caps. Yes, it's a pain in the backside but will save you beer.

Dumping them all into a ferment or is just going to be an oxidation nightmare and you'll end up dumping them all most likely.

Oh nice, didn't know you could do that, I literally just made an account to get help on this matter. The Yeast I'm using is Saflager W-30/70 so the temp should be around 12°C if I'm not mistaken :)
Thank you for adding your location. It also reduces the amount of suggestions to order something from a US store and such.

You could probably let them ferment at somewhat higher temps, 15-18C to get rid of the priming sugar. It will go faster, and makes sure it doesn't stall.

You can vent them periodically. I've had to do this before. Give them a week then lift the lids just enough to let out some pressure, then re-crimp the caps. Yes, it's a pain in the backside but will save you beer.
@dwhite60 is right! ^
Capping and releasing intermittently is a much better solution than using foil caps. The foil doesn't seal tightly, so air gets in, which will oxidize the beer over time, which we must prevent at all times.

Back