Quantcast

Too Much Priming Sugar!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HomeBrewerTX

Reaction score
I brewed up 2 cans of LME (Mountmellick Irish Stout) to make 5 gallons. My OG was 1.070 and got it down to 1.020. So, tonight I decided to bottle (with the help of my "wifey") and prepared the priming solution. I thought the bag of dextrose contained roughly around a cup. After I bottled I realized it contained 4 cups. Also, on my last bottle when I started pulling air I looked up at the tilted carboy & noticed the yeast cake was gone...What should I expect?

killian

Reaction score
you should probably pour those bottles back in to a fermenter and let it eat that extra sugar, you would have to be really careful with your sanitation.

avidhomebrewer

Reaction score
If you don't they are probably going to make some nice bombs for you. Go with 2/3 cup dextrose per 5 gallons next time.

OP
H

HomeBrewerTX

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I put it all back in the carboy & I'll make another attempt this weekend to bottle.

solidghost

Reaction score
so you added 4 times more?
if you are using screw-on bottles, what you can do is to open the bottles, let the gas escape. then tighten it again. do it a few times over the cause of the week.