Too much priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inturnldemize

Reaction score
So guys, I think I used too much priming sugar tonight. I used about 5.5oz for what I thought was a 5 gallon batch. In reality, after filling all the bottles, I realized I had only about 4.5 gallons of beer (I was 5 bottles short of 60 bottles).

Now, TastyBrew told me I should use 5.5 oz of DME for 2.0 volume of CO2. I realized I used 5.5oz or so for 4.5 gallons. Any risk of exploding bottles? I calculated and basically, for 4.5 gallons of beer and the amount of priming sugar I used, I will have an approximate volume of CO2 of 2.3.

Can anyone put my worries at ease here or is there a cause for concern?!

Your good. That is not bad.Over 3 is where you start getting head monsters. I think i accidentlly did 4 volumes for a stout,which ive gotten some slow foaminators.
Ive seen up to 4 volumes for priming calc. i think 4 is way too much for any really but you may think yours is a bit overcarbed for its style probably not at that,thats what i usually use for carbonation alot. 2.3 volumes.If you used 5.5 oz of corn sugar that would be very carbonated.

Thanks. It's an IPA so I didn't want it too carbed either. However, as long as they don't explode or give me 4 inches of head, i'll be happy.

Its probably not going to be much of a differnce,and i would check one every few weeks to see,sometimes i wont reach full carbonation for over a month.
I actually thought ipa's started out at 2.2 volumes from remembering a few brewcalcs. 2.0 may have been a bit too low anyway.

Yea, i'm gonna crack one open in 2 weeks and then 2 weeks after that. I'm pretty excited to try it!

This forum gave me so much help it's incredible!

Back