too much priming sugar

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sasabs

Reaction score
I goofed. By accident I used twice as much priming sugar as called for in the recipe. I Expected vigorous carbonation activities or possible bottle bomb but after one and half weeks no activity. Have I ruined the batch?

pwndabear

Reaction score
you're not going to see any activity in your bottles.

i would be very careful: if you don't think anything is going to happen, at the very least put your cases in a plastic tub with the top on, but doubling priming sugar will most likely end up with glass shrapnel being expelled from your carbonating beer.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well I doubt you "ruined" the batch-though you may have gushers. But you're not out of the bottle bombs woods yet. It's doubtful your beer is anyway near carbed (3 [email protected] minimum is your rough window) so I still would have them in a rubbermade tub sealed.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
Nah, the beer will be fine.. You are however doing good to tip toe around your bottles and prepare for the worst / hope for the best, as far as carbonation goes, don't store them in a warmer area obviously. I would pick a random couple of bottles from the batch and pop em' open, see what you're working with. If they seem dangerously over carbed you could always relase pressure on your batch one by one then recap them, they will carb back up.

What type of beer?

OP
S

sasabs

Reaction score
Revvy said:
Well I doubt you "ruined" the batch-though you may have gushers. But you're not out of the bottle bombs woods yet. It's doubtful your beer is anyway near carbed (3 [email protected] minimum is your rough window) so I still would have them in a rubbermade tub sealed.
Guans for your cautionary advice. I thought that if no gusher in a week I was safe. I have rubber tub with a good cover that I will uses bomb shelter in my aging cupboard

NyPDFustercluck

Reaction score
Also, be carful when opening those bottles. Try holding them with a towel, I had a bomber of ris blow up in my hands when opening. Was a scary thing...