too much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasabs

Reaction score
I goofed. By accident I used twice as much priming sugar as called for in the recipe. I Expected vigorous carbonation activities or possible bottle bomb but after one and half weeks no activity. Have I ruined the batch?

you're not going to see any activity in your bottles.

i would be very careful: if you don't think anything is going to happen, at the very least put your cases in a plastic tub with the top on, but doubling priming sugar will most likely end up with glass shrapnel being expelled from your carbonating beer.

Well I doubt you "ruined" the batch-though you may have gushers. But you're not out of the bottle bombs woods yet. It's doubtful your beer is anyway near carbed (3 weeks@70 minimum is your rough window) so I still would have them in a rubbermade tub sealed.

Nah, the beer will be fine.. You are however doing good to tip toe around your bottles and prepare for the worst / hope for the best, as far as carbonation goes, don't store them in a warmer area obviously. I would pick a random couple of bottles from the batch and pop em' open, see what you're working with. If they seem dangerously over carbed you could always relase pressure on your batch one by one then recap them, they will carb back up.

What type of beer?

Revvy said:
Well I doubt you "ruined" the batch-though you may have gushers. But you're not out of the bottle bombs woods yet. It's doubtful your beer is anyway near carbed (3 weeks@70 minimum is your rough window) so I still would have them in a rubbermade tub sealed.

Guans for your cautionary advice. I thought that if no gusher in a week I was safe. I have rubber tub with a good cover that I will uses bomb shelter in my aging cupboard

Also, be carful when opening those bottles. Try holding them with a towel, I had a bomber of ris blow up in my hands when opening. Was a scary thing...

Latest posts

Back