Too much priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acadien

Reaction score
So i made what I think is a monumental error by priming my bottles with 1 TABLESPOON for 750 ml bottles instead of the recommended 1 TEASPOON in the instructions of the Morgan's dockside stout kit.

Should I toss the bottles to keep 'em from exploding or will I be able to salvage any?

I already put them in a colder room - 15 C

Some of the bottles are plastic P.E.T. so I think I should be fine with them although the beer might be a bit gassy...

Anyways I need help, pointers,suggestions,etc. on what to do next... Thanks :drunk:

Thanks for the replies, I'm a little hesitant to rerack in my fermenting bucket because I did manage to put the right amount of dextrose in close to a 5L of beer after I noticed my error. That would mean reracking 18L in a bucket made for much more. I'm afraid the beer might get oxidized with so much headspace.
I do find it's a good idea though...

Here is another thought I was wondering that might work. Out of this batch, I have 12 1L P.E.T. bottles that use screw caps. Would I be able to open the screw cap once a day to release the pressure and later on when there is no pressure coming out and the sugar has converted into ethanol, add the right amount of priming sugar? I could do the same for my 6 Grolsch swingtop bottles. As for the other bottles I will rack some in a 1 gallon carboy and the rest will go in the sink...:(

Does that sound like it would work?

I just recently made a Cherry Stout that had too much priming sugar (because of the extra sugar added from the fruit). Every time I open a bottle, half the beer foams out. It's really annoying. I'm definitely not re-bottling it though. Too much of a pain. If they were bombs though, I would get rid of them. Never made beer bombs before, but I imagine that would be a mess.

get one empty bottle, pour over primed bottle into it. Wash empty bottle, pour another bottle into it. Wash empty bottle...................put lids on and relax

Back