too much priming sugar? please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green_bierz

Reaction score
Hey guys, bottled my second batch of brew today and everything has went amazing up till I bottled. I split the 5 gal. Batch between a party pig and bottles, the party pig got the exact amount needed and should be fine. However. I neglected to buy a scale today and had to guess on priming sugar for the remaining 2.5 gal. I used a half cup of sugar for this. Should i be getting ready for bottle bombs? Or should I be ok?
The beer is honey bee ale from Midwest and I added an extra lb. Of honey. Og was 1.056
Fg at bottling is 1.010
Yeast used is the ever popular us-05
Thanks for the help *fingers crossed*

And yes, I did a Google search as well as the forums search on this before I posted lol

Just to get things started here (I am sure that someone with more experience will be along shortly), the Papazian rule of thumb volume measure for corn sugar is 3/4 cup for 5 gallons. So based on that rule, you are high. However, I have read that you can go higher than 3/4 cup, but that you don't want to exceed 1 cup for five gallons. So you are right at that threshold, and probably are going to end up with some rather fizzy beer. I would keep them in a safe spot for the time being, just to be careful. And speaking as someone who eyeballed his hops on his first brew because he didn't have a scale, remember to get a scale so that you use a priming calculator and prime to style in the future.

Fizzy don't bother me lol, glass shards, beer covered walls and carpet does Lmao. So, pushing the brink but most likely clear of bombs?

should be heavily carb'd but not so much to make any bottle bombs.

http://www.brewheads.com/priming.php

Volume : 2.5
Desired Volume of CO2 (liters of gas dissolved in liters of solution ex: 2.2) : 2.7
Fermentation Temperature : 65
Type: Corn Sugar
Units: Gallons/Fahrenheit
Prime the beer with 2.56 ounces of your priming ingredient.

Volume (such as cups) is not an accurate way to measure priming sugar. You don't measure your hops in cups do you? Go buy a cheap scale. If you insist on using volume instead of mass, its suggested that 3/4 cup of corn sugar is about 4 ounces. That applies for corn sugar only.

If you used 1/2 cup, that should be about 2.6oz

Arkador said:
should be heavily carb'd but not so much to make any bottle bombs.

http://www.brewheads.com/priming.php

Volume : 2.5
Desired Volume of CO2 (liters of gas dissolved in liters of solution ex: 2.2) : 2.7
Fermentation Temperature : 65
Type: Corn Sugar
Units: Gallons/Fahrenheit
Prime the beer with 2.56 ounces of your priming ingredient.

Volume (such as cups) is not an accurate way to measure priming sugar. You don't measure your hops in cups do you? Go buy a cheap scale. If you insist on using volume instead of mass, its suggested that 3/4 cup of corn sugar is about 4 ounces. That applies for corn sugar only.

If you used 1/2 cup, that should be about 2.6oz
Thank you very much :) I'm off to go buy my scale tonight! I might just bring along a zip lock full of priming sugar just incase I get pulled over lol. Small town cops would have a hay day with me haha.

Back