Too much oat high FG???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudybrew

Reaction score
Hey guys I need your opinions.
I brewed 10 days ago a Dry Stout. OG 1053.
Turns out I decided to add extra oat to my recipe because I wanted extra dense foam on it, so I added 700 grams of flaked oat to my 20L batch. And the recipe I bought had already 140 grams, summing to 840 grams of oat which I did a protein rest at 60*C.
Two days after brewing and putting it to ferment the beer was 1034(8,5 brix), on the refratometer, I did the conversion and it´s like 1022.
Yesterday i measured on the densimeter and it shows 1020, and the same thing on the refratometer.
I tasted it and it´s very dry, doesnt feel sweet.
I am wondering if the extra oat made the FG get so high, but still converting a good deal of the sugar in it?
Then how could I calculate the ABV?
I dont know I am a bit confused, I am kinda newbie.
Thanks for the insights... ta...

thanks bribo...
do you thing the extra oat explains the high FG?
and if the ABV was meant to be 5,3 do you thing there wasnt a good attenuation?

You probably have some unfermentable sugars from the oats which should explain a higher final gravity.

These sugars don't necessarily give the beer a sweeter taste...just more body and mouth feel.

Should I put it to secondary and then in the fridge at 6*C for a week? will it carbonate ok after this?

Back