Too much malt in my rye/wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptFacePuncher

Reaction score
Hi all. I just brewed a batch today and realized i put in about 50% more malt than I had planned and would like to know if anyone else has ever done something so stupid and any corrective action I could take.

Recipe I wanted to make was:
5 gal batch
1lb. Flaked rye (steep 30 min)
3lb. Wheat DME
3lb. Pilsen LME
0.25 oz. Falconers Flight hops @ 60 min
0.5 oz. Falconers Flight hops @ 20 min
0.5 oz. Lemon zest @ 15 min
0.25 oz. Falconers Flight hops @ flame out
WPL 320 American Hefe
0.5 oz. Lemon Zest in Secondary

What I didn't pay attention to is that when the guy at the LHBS was helping me get my ingredients, he gave me 3 lb. of wheat LME in addition to the 3lb. of wheat DME that I had picked up and I didn't realize it. When I was brewing, I just added all 9lbs. of malt. When I measured my O.G. i realized I was way higher than expected (~1.07 vs. ~1.05) and now I have a beer that's going to come out overly sweet and way higher in %ABV than I had originally planned.

So one thought I had was to boil some more hops in a gallon of water and add it to the primary. Would that work or would it just mess things up further?

It's going to be stronger than expected, but not rediculously so. Give it a bit more fermentation time and call it an "imperial" and you'll be all set.

I think it would be fine either way. If you were heavy into fermentation i'd leave it alone but since you just brewed it I think it would be fine to dilute it down to the OG you want it to be at.

Thanks for the reply guys. I think I'll just leave it alone then and maybe call it a double wheat. If it comes out too sweet I can make up some bitter citrus juices and make shandies out of it.

Back