Too much hops in wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
OK, so I brewed up a dunkel earlier, and everything was going good until I added the hops. For some reason, I had in mind that it was only a 1oz bag, so I put in half of it, since I was only doing a 2.5gallon batch. But it was actually a 2oz bag. The hops are northern brewer pellets. I originally wanted .4oz in there, which would give me 21 IBUs, but now with .8-.9 in there, im looking at 45 IBUs. The beers was 1.056 OG. Do you think this is going to completely ruin this batch (for people other than me, I like bitter beers :mug:) as I was planning on giving this to a couple of friends.

It may... but I guess that depends on if your friends enjoy bitter beers as well:D
It may help to look at an IBU chart (just google it, a million come up) and look at some styles you've had and their respected IBU's. May help you get a better idea.

That's about triple normal for the style, more like an ESB. What were your specialty grains? Maybe a name change is all it will take.

haha yeah, its a little out of control on the IBU's.
I dont know really what the beer was even supposed to be, i was just using up some leftover ingredients that I had laying around, and sometimes those make the best beers :mug:

specialty grains where 8oz crystal and 3oz belgian special B
malts used were 2lb wheat 1lb light, both dry extracts
the batch was only a 2.5G batch, so it should turn out to be around 5.5%, so maybe some of the other flavors will cover it up some.
yease used was nottingham, which might be a disadvantage in this case, because its leaves so little flavors
Its gonna be one weird beer :)

Back