Too much heat for GoFerm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP_BeerFan

Reaction score
I just pitched a small cider batch, remaking a recipe I had done last year. I didn't know as much then, so ended up doing and not doing several things that I now know that would have been better practice. Ah, well. Wasn't horrible.

This time I did things as much "best practices" as I could, though there may be one screwup. I mixed my Go Ferm Evo with about 160F water to dissolve it. Not the yeast addition, I waited till it was about 100-101F for that, to be under the suggested 102F (or 104F?)

So, my question, anyone have any idea or experience, on how hot is too hot water to mix your Go Ferm into?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about "using hotter water helps it dissolve better" but thinking about it, I was wondering what sensitive organic compounds I may have cooked. I did some researching around... and have found in different Lallemand documentation instruction saying to either mix it with 110F water, or no mention on how hot, just what temp you should let it cool down to before the yeast goes in, and a few other random temps by other non Lallemand sites here and there... With all that, and there's a practice of "poor man's yeast nutrient" being made by boiling some yeast... and I'm not sure how much damage if any would my 160F addition do. Hopefully not much, and we'll see, but I hate having thrown a (perhaps small) monkey wrench in my "perfect best practices" rebatch...

At any rate, it's off and running, in a temp control chamber to boot.... hopefully as comfortable and well fed as yeast could hope for...

I've been making cider for years without any yeast nutrients or rehydration additions. Your results may vary depending on the variety of apples and the yeast selection.
Its probably a good practice to use Go-ferm with any dried yeast and to follow the instructions. I don't think using 160F water is going to hurt anything, as long as you let it cool down before adding the yeast.
I do use Go-ferm and Fermaid-0 when making mead.

Yeah, I intend to do some mead batches shortly. As I've been reading, I get the impression that cider is somewhat sparse in nutrition, but not as bad as honey based ferments. I did add a fair amount (actually mead levels) of Ferm O, as part of my procedure this time.

Latest posts

Back