too much head????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themanster

Reaction score
Alright i know it was not the best of tittles, but i had to get your attention some how right!!! Im having a problem with getting to much foam? This is my first batch ever kegged and im getting to the bottom of my second keg and its coming out all foam. I was pushing it at 12 psi and it was great for the first maybe 4 gallons and now its all foam. I backed it down to 8 psi but haven’t poured at that pressure. Any suggestions or is this one of those things when you get to the bottom of the keg???

Usually blowing foam means that the keg is too warm or you are almost empty. How close to the bottom is your pickup tube? You might be down to the ends on that keg.

Brings new understanding to the industry term "blow a keg" eh? :D

Drop the pressure down further
I like highly carbonated beer like Duvel but in order to dispense beer that carbonated I have to drop the pressure to where the beer pours out very slowly
Also if you are using a picnic tap you can raise the tap as high as the tube will allow increasing the head pressure needed and that slows down the flow
The slower the flow, the less turbulence = less foam
Lastly be sure you open the tap all the way partially opening the tap creates more turbulence thus more foam

i bumped the pressure down to 6psi and the beer is comin our realy slow i think the keg is now empty but i got some more in my secondary right now so there will be beer soon. i couldnt come up with a sexual enduendo there so.....

Back