Too much head space??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of beer this morning and I need input. Did I leave too much head space in the bottles? The bottle on the left is the remainder of my batch which is why it is about half full.
3DC085BA-6435-4D9C-A0E5-DD0C06C595EA.jpeg

Thanks for sharing VikeMan. In your opinion, should this be okay to sit for two weeks before drinking or will there be oxidation/off flavors doing so?

All I can really say with confidence is that it will age faster than it would with less headspace. Also, how much noticeable impact that will have depends somewhat on the style. What kind of beer is this? But generally, I would not waste any time once it's carbonated.

Damn, okay. I have read some threads on this particular situation and have found mixed opinions. I wonder if a week at room temperature(72 degrees) then putting them in the fridge to drink would be the solution then.

Damn, okay. I have read some threads on this particular situation and have found mixed opinions. I wonder if a week at room temperature(72 degrees) then putting them in the fridge to drink would be the solution then.

I don't mean to imply by my posts above that these bottles will be terrible. Personally, I wouldn't drink them before they are fully carbonated.

I’d pop one in the fridge for several hours at a week and a half to test it out. If its not fully carbed, wait another 3-4 days and retest.

If your using a bottle filler, bring the beer all the way to the top before pulling out the filler. The volume displaced by the filler tube should leave about a 1/2-3/4” of an inch.

Did you use a bottling wand/tube when filling those bottles?
The one in the back, on the right, looks filled to about the correct height.

How about topping the others up from the partial bottle? Just carefully and slowly pour.

You're leaving about twice the headspace that I normally do but I sometimes have a half full bottle as I get to the end of the bottling. I don't leave that bottle sit on the shelf for long but I haven't noticed any off flavor from oxidation. I do notice a lot of CO2 escaping that half full bottle when I open it.

If you use a bottling wand for filling and fill the bottles clear to the top (some of mine spill over a little) you will have the right amount of headspace left.

I’d pop one in the fridge for several hours at a week and a half to test it out. If its not fully carbed, wait another 3-4 days and retest.

If your using a bottle filler, bring the beer all the way to the top before pulling out the filler. The volume displaced by the filler tube should leave about a 1/2-3/4” of an inch.
Okay, That’s a good idea. Thanks for the input👍🏻

You're leaving about twice the headspace that I normally do but I sometimes have a half full bottle as I get to the end of the bottling. I don't leave that bottle sit on the shelf for long but I haven't noticed any off flavor from oxidation. I do notice a lot of CO2 escaping that half full bottle when I open it.

If you use a bottling wand for filling and fill the bottles clear to the top (some of mine spill over a little) you will have the right amount of headspace left.
Okay, Thanks for the info👍🏻 Next time I will for sure leave less head space

Did you use a bottling wand/tube when filling those bottles?
The one in the back, on the right, looks filled to about the correct height.

How about topping the others up from the partial bottle? Just carefully and slowly pour.
I did use a bottling wand. I thought about doing that but I wasn’t sure if that was a good idea.

I'd recommend reading this thread. It's long, but informative.
Based on that thread I started filling my bottles almost completely full for the last few batches. I think it helps, but I haven't tried a side-by-side taste test. There doesn't seem to be any down side that I can tell. I just make sure to leave a little (maybe 1/2") headspace to allow for thermal expansion of the liquid.

Back