Too much head space in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just did my first 5 gallon all grain batch today and when I siphoned to the fermentor I came up with a yield of about 4 gallons... Problem is, I was looking to hit 5 gallons. I'm guessing I didn't sparge enough and there was more evaporation than I anticipated. Now I'm left with a lot of empty space in the carboy and I'm worried I'm going to oxidize the beer.

Is it possible to just boil additional water and add to the fermentor to reach final 5 gallons? I've already pitched my yeast so not sure if it would be a good idea or not.

Thanks for any help!

That shouldn't be a problem for a 5 or 6 gal carboy. I've used 5 gal in a 6 gal carboy, or more commonly, ~2 gal in a 3.

I don't understand why such a big deal is made about headspace -- don't we aerate the wort before pitching the yeast? Once the yeast gets working, the CO2 will fill the head space (and then some, hence the airlock).

Paul

Do not do anything. The wort and yeast will cause enough co2 to be created that will essentially seal the wort/beer from the air.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Headspace isnt an issue but you may have ended up with a higher gravity than you anticipated. Adding top off water if perfectly fine if you want to hit your numbers. If you dont just be sure to use priming sugar for 4 gal instead of 5

You need to know your OG before you can figure out if you can add top off water or not. If you severely overshot your OG adding a gallon would be fine, if you actually hit your OG, adding a gallon would dilute it big time.

I pretty significantly overshot the OG. however, at this point the yeast is already working pretty strong so I don't think I want to add in anything at this point. For next brew, is it simply sparging more water to get my brew kettle volume up that will fix the trick?

You need to know your OG before you can figure out if you can add top off water or not. If you severely overshot your OG adding a gallon would be fine, if you actually hit your OG, adding a gallon would dilute it big time.
Guess who made that mistake of "Well I should get X volume..." This guy! Still made beer, live and learn.
I pretty significantly overshot the OG. however, at this point the yeast is already working pretty strong so I don't think I want to add in anything at this point. For next brew, is it simply sparging more water to get my brew kettle volume up that will fix the trick?

I had a batch of Chocolate Stout go oversize recently and not fit into target carboy. Tossed the remainder in another and pitched a jar of yeast from the fridge (after warming). Headspace? 2.5 gals of wort in a 6 gal carboy. This was Thursday. Come Sunday I made a batch of something entirely different, just aiming for generic yellow ale. Got my numbers and gravity alright, but still felt like the grain had more to give. Gave it a sparge and boil, chilled, then added the extra 2 gals to the bubbling "overflow" carboy. Not too sure what will come from it in the end, but it will be beer of some sort. Looks to be more of a brown than red, happily bubbling away.

Moral of the story: I added to an active fermentation and it seems to be going without a hitch. Obviously changed things up with the recipes involved, but variety is important. Adding top up water if you are high on the OG won't cause any problems and bring you closer to your original target. Increase the sparge water will do the trick, just don't do what I did and make 7.5 gals of wort for your 5 gal carboy. If you still don't get quite enough you can check your gravity then add top up water before pitching.

That will do it. Also,it wouldn't hurt to add extra water while its fermenting. Just be sure its the same temp as your wort.

That will do it. Also,it wouldn't hurt to add extra water while its fermenting. Just be sure its the same temp as your wort.

Back