Too much foam !!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dublot00

Reaction score
I have tried diffrent pressures from the CO2, from 12lbs-22lbs. I doesn't seem to make much of a diffrence. It wastes alot of beer/CO2 because of it. I've had the same problem with an IPA, Raz. Wheat, and a Rye on this go-around.

Also I've read that aggitating the keggs helps with force corbination. Although the brew supply store I frequent said it was not recommended.

Please describe your setup and process so we can try help find the source of your trouble.

release the pressure in the keg and turn the regulator down to 5 lbs and give it a try.

I force carbonate my brews by rocking my cornies all the time. It works great and I have been doing it for years without any negative results.

My kegs are refridgerated, along with the CO2 tank. I recharge each kegg every day or two, with the youngest consistantly pressurized.
I will back off to 5 lbs. Will this affect the amount of corbonation absorbed by the brews?

How do you serve it? Picnic tap, draft faucet? How long is the serving line? What size line is it, 1/4", 3/16" ID ?

John

careful with what you say. someone could assume that you carbonated at that pressure too, which i am assuming you aren't...

to the OP - like everyone else said, you need to give more information on your setup: temps, type/size of tubing, length of tubing, form of distribution, etc. the more information you can give us, the more we can help you.

dublot00 said:
My kegs are refridgerated, along with the CO2 tank. I recharge each kegg every day or two, with the youngest consistantly pressurized.
I will back off to 5 lbs. Will this affect the amount of corbonation absorbed by the brews?

Once the beer soaks up the carbonation, you can reduce the pressure for serving, but after that session, you will have to raise the pressure back up because if you leave the 5 LBS of pressure in the tank the co2 will start outgassing and the beer will loose carbonation. It depends on how full the keg is as to how much carbonation it will loose. If the keg is full, you will have very little headspace so when the co2 outgasses it will take very little to raise the pressure in the headspace. If the keg is almost empty, the beer will go half flat if you leave it 2 days with 5 lbs of pressure on it.

I force carbonate at 20 to 30 psig depending upon the flavor of the beer. Let it set for 1 week - checking daily for head space outgas and filling up when needed. Then when it is time to drink I gas out the corney all the way to a small light hiss - usually measuring up to about 2 - 5 psig. Then I hold steady a 3.5-5 psig when serving. Never had issues with little or no head and never had issues with too much foam.

Sounds to me that you are serving at too high of psig.

- WW

well, if you properly balance your beer line with the pressure and temperature, you don't have to reduce pressure. instead of having to mess with it everytime he wants a beer, i'd recommend him spend time now to properly balance the system, that way he will just put a keg in one day, and if he slow carbs, he will drink it in a week or so with no problems, and if he uses a carb stone, less than a day with no messing with pressures. it's also a much better situation for having multiple kegs, otherwise it will become a huge mess, in my opinion.

Back