Too much foam - what is wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyTD

Reaction score
Hi can anyone possibly advise on what could be wrong here?

I have three different brews that are doing the same thing here. All three I primed to between 2.4 and 3 ATM of carbonation using table sugar (the weiss at 3 and the the two at 2.4 and 2.6). I take a bottle out of the fridge and open it and I get a pretty normal psst sound when then cap is removed. It is obvious looking through the glass that at this point the beer produces no head or excess bubbles even if left for 10 or so seconds just standing upright.
However as soon as I pour the beer into a glass (as gentle as possible down the side of the glass), I get excessive foaming to the point where before the glass is a quarter fill the foam has reached to brim of the glass (a traditional wiezen style glass).

I am not sure what could be wrong here? If I over carbonated would I not expect it to start gushing as soon as the bottled was opened and not only during the pour?

Any ideas? All three recipes were all grain.

Try rinsing out your glass with water before you pour your beer...

One obvious question - is the glass a branded lager glass? In which case it will almost certainly have nucleation points etched into it to force CO2 to bubble up. Just use another glass in that case.

Dirt and dust on the glass can have a similar effect - there's a whole industry devoted to making sure glasses are super-clean in bars.

What temperature are we talking for beer and glass/room? Carbon dioxide is far more soluble in cold liquid than warm liquid so beer will fob when it gets warm.

Ah - I've just seen that it's a weizen glass. Wouldn't have thought it would have deliberate nucleation points, but worth trying a different glass anyway, it's probably just dirt.

It would be kinda weird if all beers were overcarbonated, so I assume it's not that. I think you should try a different kind of glass.

I always rinse well my glass with cold water and then I pour. Even if the glass is " clean " or taken from your washing machine or cupboard, the glass always needs to be thouroughly rinsed with cold water inside.

Hi, yes I have tried rinsing and even pre cooling the glasses in the same fridge.

This seems to happen with whatever glass I try.

I am going out is my fridge is too cold (it is set to its minimum temp for some reason. Or perhaps the detergent I am using to clean the glasses.

It is driving me nuts and very embarrassing when pouring a guest one of my beers.....

Last edited:
Back