Too much foam from tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris_

Reaction score
So I currently have two kegs in my kegerator. I’m using a duel regulator with my Co2 tank. Pressure is at 10-11psi with 10ft of 3/16 beer line for both taps, and the temp is at 37f. One of my kegs pours perfectly fine, while the other pours nothing but foam. I’m completely stumped and can’t figure out what’s going on. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Some things to check...

A bad poppet on a keg

A leak in one of your beer line fittings. (I still can’t figure out how something under pressure can let air in, but somehow this happens and foam is the result)

The entire beer line needs to be cool. If a second beer from the same tap is better this may be a sign of a temp problem.

You might try switching the gas lines between the two kegs. You might have an incorrect pressure reading on one side of your regulator.

Make sure your tap is clean and put together properly. Restrictions or pieces in the wrong spot can cause turbulence that foams up beer.

Hopefully one of these helps!

So the beer lines are cool. I tried swapping the gas lines and no luck. I also tried switching the beer line out fitting. I’ll try and reassemble the tap later. Could it have something to do with it only being hooked up to the Co2 for just a week?

If you pour a pint immediately after the first one does it all come out as foam also

Constant foam would typically be a mechanical problem. Possibly some blockage in the liquid pipe/fitting/ connector. If you have the generic chrome faucets check for any burs or flaking chrome inside the tap. A buddy chased foaming for a long time until he found a piece of chrome flaked up inside the faucet.

Try replacing the O-ring on the beer out dip tube. And also check for any damage to the dip tube and keg fitting where the O-ring seals. A leak at this seal can let CO2 into your beer line, which will give you the problem you are having.

Also, check that the beer dip tube, out post and poppet, and QD are free of any debris (hops are notorious for getting into the plumbing.)

Brew on :mug:

I second doug293cz, the small o-ring under the Out dip tube flange is the likely root cause.
If that is missing or damaged you'll get exactly this symptom.
Partial plugging of the poppet/disconnect or dip tube can get close but for the classic "all foam pour" it's that o-ring...

Cheers!

It’s got to be an issue with the keg. I switched the out line from the keg that’s pouring foam to the keg that’s pouring just fine and it worked. However the keg that’s not working is brand new, second time using it. So I’m not sure what the issue is. I’ll have to check for a leak and maybe clean out the dip tube.

It’s got to be an issue with the keg. I switched the out line from the keg that’s pouring foam to the keg that’s pouring just fine and it worked. However the keg that’s not working is brand new, second time using it. So I’m not sure what the issue is. I’ll have to check for a leak and maybe clean out the dip tube.
I'll bet you have hop debris in the liquid connection

I use a syringe with star san and slots cut in the sides of end with an exacto knife so when you push down on centre it causes star san to shoot and rinse out the connection. I also use this for the dip tubes when I clean the tanks.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I ended up switching a dip tube out and the out connect from a spare keg and it works now. As doug293cz and day_trippr mentioned. I think it was an issue with an O ring. When I removed the dip tube the o ring on the connect wasn’t quite sitting right, so I just replaced it.

Back