Too much extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodmanh

Reaction score
I've found after getting a batch of Belgian white going that I used six pounds of extract rather than the four pounds called for in the recipe. What's the primary impact, as far as taste and any fermentation issues?

What was the rest of the recipe? 4 lbs is a little light on it's own. fermentation should be fine, but the ABV will be higher.

It would help if you posted the entire recipe. In general though, you end up with a maltier, less hoppy beer. Hard to say what the total impact will be without recipe details. The fermentation shouldn't be effected in any substantive way.

The recipe called for four pounds of light extract, two pounds of Belgian pils, and a half pound each of 20L crystal and Munich malt. One ounce each cascade and chinook hops.

So after putting on about six pounds of extract I'll basically end up with a higher abv in a lightly-hopped brew?

1056, crystal malts, and chinook & cascade hops? That's an lightly hopped APA. Nothing "Belgian" about it. I bet it will taste good, though.

I hope it called for yeast.

Lol. Leave him alone.

You were saying? :p

No teasing going on here, just making sure he knew what he was getting into. I generally like bigger beers, and I can't be alone in this, so I guess my actual response to the "what's the impact?" question would be, "more extract = moar yum."

Oh, and a beer that's slightly sweeter than the original recipe, due to increased gravity without increased hopping, but I don't think it's going to be a huge difference, in this case.

Back