Too much DME carbing keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pahiker6

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently primed up a keg of Scotch Ale using DME. I had been force carbing, but decided to try carbing naturally to see if it makes any difference. The only problem is I used the suggested amount of DME for bottling - 1.25 cups of DME.

Do you think I'll run into any problems? Should I just vent some of the co2 off the keg?

Thanks.

Wait until it is done working and if necessary just vent it a couple times. But do it in a place where a foam-out won't make a mess.

david_42 said:
Wait until it is done working and if necessary just vent it a couple times. But do it in a place where a foam-out won't make a mess.
+1, it's easy to do but you can make a mess if you're careless about it.

Just pour it through the tap when it's all done. I imagine you will have the gas hooked up to it sooner or later, so it will all equalize at your desired pressure.

Otherwise, you risk getting beer up in your gas popped or release valve, and that could be a real pain later on.

TL

TexLaw said:
Just pour it through the tap when it's all done. I imagine you will have the gas hooked up to it sooner or later, so it will all equalize at your desired pressure.

Otherwise, you risk getting beer up in your gas popped or release valve, and that could be a real pain later on.

TL

TL, should I not hook the gas line up initially? I'm worried that if the pressure in the keg is too high, it'll back flow into the gas supply line.

you should look at getting some shut off valves w/ check valves. if you worry'd wait till the flow from the keg slows then add your co2 line to it.

autoferret said:
if you worry'd wait till the foam from the keg slows then add your co2 line to it.
There, corrected that for you :D

Yeah, if you're going to fix it by pouring until the carbonation level drops, I wouldn't hook the gas up to it until the pressure has dropped and stayed that way for a while. Check valves are a nice backup but there's no reason to push your luck.

Back