too much crystal??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker111

Reaction score
Hi all
I am brewing a 10 g batch of a Red IPA for the first time and I already crushed my grain. I have been reading about limiting the amount of crystal in the recipe to under 10%. This grain bill has 25 pounds total being a 10 g and 30 % is 120 and 40.

Thinking about adding some base malt or munich to counter this some. Maybe 2 pounds???
What do you think? As per usual, I am sure it will make good beer but asking opinions based on the high % of crystal.
Thanks all.

I found out the hard way on the crystal . I definitely used too much in my Irish red . However with it put in already I'm not sure what you could do to counter.

I think that you will find that percentage of crystal making your beer cloyingly sweet. Some suggestions would be to mash in at a lower temperature like 148 F to attempt to dry out the beer from a standpoint of the non-crystal part of the grist. I would then up the bittering charge and definitely dry hop it. That is what I would do.

I found out the hard way on the crystal . I definitely used too much in my Irish red . However with it put in already I'm not sure what you could do to counter.

It was your post that got me thinking about it................... and the roasted barley factor on the red.

Thanks all. I like the idea of mash lower and add more hops. It calls for dry hop of simcoe and mosaic and I will increase the hops throughout the brew schedule but don't want to ruin the balance.
The recipe was found on the white labs site if interested.

I agree that the crystal percentage is quite high. But there's also a perspective that someone published that recipe "as is" for a reason. Unless it's the only beer you'll brew, why not just go with it and see what happens. It could be a nice surprise.

Here's a quote from the recipe that even acknowledges your concern head on. Sounds like they have a clue!

"Tasting Notes:
When did caramel malt become such a polarizing malt? We still think it’s great when used properly in hoppy styles—like the Red India Pale Ale. Let’s be honest, this beer killed it in our tasting rooms. Awesome notes of pear, bread crust and lemongrass from a combination of malt, hops and yeast produced esters. Medium body from the crystal malts creates a drinkable backbone for hop aroma and flavor to shine through. If you prefer high-intensity hop aroma we’d suggest doubling the dry hopping amounts. - Erik Fowler, White Labs Education & Engagement Curator "

Second on mashing low. And lots of hops to balance that maltiness some. Pitch a healthy starter of the most attenuating yeast that you can get. That'll tamp down the FG some. Still, you'll end up with a high FG.

Second on mashing low. And lots of hops to balance that maltiness some. Pitch a healthy starter of the most attenuating yeast that you can get. That'll tamp down the FG some. Still, you'll end up with a high FG.

I do starters for all beers and like your comment. It calls for 007 but could not find so I have 2 flasks ready with a 1968 and a 1272.

For sure not giving up. Did not brew it yet and I bet it will ....... as we say.....make beer.
I will try a few subtle adjustments. My buddies will drink it with a smile on!!!!!
Thanks

The enzymes in the mash also attack the unfermentables from the crystal malt, chopping them into fermentables.

The idea that too much crystal makes a cloyingly sweet beer comes from extract brewing where crystal malts are only steeped and therefore never see any enzymatic activity.

I would brew it as it is and tell us about the outcome!

Brewed this 8 days ago and it is time to check gravity soon but will let it sit in fermonsters for another week being a 1.067 beer. I got 1.063.
I mashed at 146 and found it dark but could see red as the vhlorfof continued. Made water adjustments and got 5.3 for ph so time will tell being the first time I brewed this red IPA.
Figure I can make further adjustments next time if need be.

Back